10/28/10

As I continue on in making bobbin lace, I am encouraged at all the online resources I have found on the subject.  With the boom in knitting, spinning, and needlework in recent years, it still seems that bobbin lace is not well known and it's history even less so.  I will be including links that I have found helpful in my bobbin lace journey and many of these links can lead you to even more places for supplies, patterns, and inspiration.



http://lace.lacefairy.com/Lace/BeginGuide.html

10/27/10

A study in diamonds and connecting it to grounds

A simple tape lace

My first attempt at grounds
These are the most recent additions to my bobbin lace portfolio.  It's starting to click how the elements begin working together.  As a beginner it seems a mystery how everything is connected.  As the lightbulb goes on - AhHa!!!!

10/12/10

Sewing tutorial 2

To continue last months sewing tutorial, we will pick up with the cutting of the sweat shirt. 

 Position the old shirt on the new one to be cut and be sure to leave room for seam allowance.  1/2 inch is usually good but do what works for you, just remember to add it to every edge to be sewn.  If you are adding length or width to the original make sure to do the same for each piece of the pattern.  The front and back of the sweatshirt can be folded in half and cut on the fold as well.

When cutting out the sleeves, position the new sleeve pieces both right sides together and cut both sleeves at the same time.  Again, don't forget your seam allowances and any adjustments you might wish to make.  Here I have left ample cuff length. 

Now we are ready to start sewing!  This method for upcycling clothing is not just for childrens wear.  It is an option for anyone who finds an article of clothing with enough space to cut a new garment out of. 

10/11/10

Unintentional blog break

My apologies for a week or so off.  I had some emergency sewing to do for an event that my family was to attend and my daughter and I needed formal dresses.  So, I dove into my stash and cozied up to my sewing machine for a while.

Here are the results...

This is myself and my cutie daughter, Lily, in our new gowns. 
Lily's dress was made out of royal purple satin.  It had a criss cross back and a circular skirt with black crinoline underskirt.

My gown was done in purple tissue taffeta.  It has a sweetheart neckline and was embellished with vintage black chantilly lace. 
I am most proud of the fact that I did not purchase anything to make these dresses except for 1 zipper.  All the other materials I had left over from previous projects.  Yay for upcycling!